Winter is fast approaching, which for some people means packing it in and packing it on. Yeah, not here at the Hotel Excelsior (my joke name for this humble abode I share with my lady and our cat, Aube). We’ve been going healthier, rawer, dare I say gravitating towards a more vegetarian lifestyle. As I write that last sentence I remember we did have chicken last night, and I had a burger on Tuesday night, but before that…
…I can’t remember the last time I ate meat. Like serious red meat. I can’t remember my last steak- I was just saying a few weeks ago that after my next half marathon I’m going to Denny’s for a big-ass steak-and-eggs meal, but what I did was come home and make a protein shake, followed by some eggs and toast a few hours later (and a sweet nap).
So basically, here’s what’s been eaten a lot the last few months here at Casa Excelente:
– red quinoa
– beans (most pinto and black)
– this awesome “roasted root vegetables” thing I’ve been making: turnips, purple carrots, gold beets, shallots, green and yellow summer squash (I know, squash isn’t a root veg)
– organic free range chicken
– nuts, lots of nuts (almonds, macadamias, what have you)
– seeds (sunflower & chia, mostly)
– Udo’s 3-6-9 Oil
– roasted butternut squash soup
– kale, spinach, collards: leafy-ass greens yo
– brown rice
– banana every morning BEFORE coffee
– berries out the yazoo (blue-, rasp-, tart cherries, booyaa)
You know, this list can go on and on forever. Basically, we eat really well. This is the first year I haven’t gotten sick from our crop of brand new toddlers at school.
I’m contributing this to diet, running 40 miles/week, positive mental outlook, creative love and deepening spirituality.
Sounds like we’re doing okay over here.
What you been eating?